IB Lit and Lang Blog 12: IOC Practice
Prep:
Passage:
IOC:
Grade:
A: 5 - Because I show adequate knowledge of the text and points are usually backed up by the passage.
B: 4 - Because I have some awareness of the literary devices, however, I have few references on their effects on the reader.
C: 4 - Because the IOC is well organised and the structure is mostly coherent.
D: 4 - Because the language is appropriate and there's good grammar. The style is also effective.


Very good IOC practice here Alec. I thought overall your analysis was well thought out and insightful. I also think that the specific literary devices you address are done so in an appropriate manner, although I would say I think you may want to focus on maybe more specific examples from the text. You relate back to your thesis often, but you did focus on the spider metaphor for a good portion of the recording. You still had time to spare so you could certainly make sure to analyze as many quotes as possible from the text on the real IOC. GooD WorK.
ReplyDeleteYooooooooo, Alecc Baldwin, what is up my dude? I think you had a pretty good IOC practice here. I was your partner for the one that we did in class and I definitely think that you improved a good bit over that one. I do think you graded yourself a little bit too harshly, but that is a good thing. It shows how you want to strive to do the best that you can. I do agree with you that you discussed the references to the text, but not their effect much. Overall, really good job bud!
ReplyDeleteAlec! Good practice my guy. I think you underrated yourself on this one bro. Your analysis was super hot fire and it was some good work overall. I like how you relate everything back to your thesis, which is good for reminding me what exactly you are talking about. Keep up the good work, and you'll easily knock the real deal IOC out of the ball park.
ReplyDeletehey dude! I think your IOC was really good and you definitely underrated yourself! You has such good analysis and everything came back to your thesis which is super good! Since you had time left maybe go back and do a little more analysis next time but overall it was super good!!
ReplyDeleteAlec:
ReplyDelete- Nice work establishing your knowledge of the text
- You don't need to say "My thesis is..."
- Be sure you are continuously linking back what you establish as the purpose of the passage is and really prove what you're trying to prove (PETAL).
- The HOW part is weak....be sure you're not just paraphrasing and thinking that's analysis. HOW does Ishiguro do what you say he's trying to do? What effect does the language, style, and structure have on the reader?
- Use of figurative language?
- spider part is really weird..........you move far from the passage itself for too long
- tone of passage?
A: 3
B: 3
C: 2
D: 3